Saturday, October 31, 2009

5 Things You May Have Forgotten...


Jawbreaker
I just saw this on TV a couple of weeks ago for the first time since I was obsessed with it in the eighth grade. Calling it a precursor to Mean Girls would be an understatement; it's practically the original version with some murder thrown in. It had the makeover, the malicious postering of the high school, and my first encounter with the magnificent Judy Greer (as Fern Mayo, I mean, Vylette). Definitely worth another watch.

That Vince Vaughn can do serious
Wedding Crashers be damned, the man can play intense and sinister convincingly. He played Norman Bates in the Anne Heche remake of Psycho (which obviously doesn't even compare to the original), but he's got that tall leery thing going on that totally works. He also played an FBI agent opposite J.Lo in The Cell, which, by the way, is a great creepy Halloween flick.

Working
I used to watch this sitcom all the time when I was younger, even though I'm sure I didn't understand 70% of the jokes. Starring Fred Savage of The Wonder Years fame, and with Debi Mazar, this was my first sitcom in which the characters work all day but never actually work. So, I'd pinpoint it as my first contributor to a somewhat wavering work ethic.

Ethan Embry
Can't Hardly Wait, That Thing You Do!, White Squall, Empire Records, S
weet Home Alabama- all top notch. But where are you now, Ethan? The last big thing I saw you in was a ridiculous ABC Family movie because I certainly didn't watch The Brotherhood. I demand more of your naive, boyish charm pronto! P.S. If you haven't seen Dancer, Texas Pop. 81, queue it up immediately (although it is possible you have to be a 13-year-old girl to appreciate it as much as I did when I was a 13-year-old girl).

Dick
Get your mind out of the gutter; I'm talking about the Kirsten Durst-Michelle Williams flick set in the early 70's. They play two flighty girls who become Nixon's official dog walkers and end up having a large impact on Watergate, the Vietnam War, and Nixon's resignation. More importantly, Woodward and Bernstein are played by...wait for it...Will Ferrell and Bruce McCulloch (McCulloch played Tobin in Gilmore Girls and was in Kids in the Hall). Can't be beat.


No comments:

Post a Comment